When chill winds blow and rosy cheeks are ready to sit at the table, a sandwich filled with ooey gooey cheesy goodness will make everyone smile. Oh, the joy that the glorious grilled cheese sandwich has brought to so many. Purists want it simple, a slice of American or Cheddar cheese on white bread, toasted golden brown, crust removal optional. The more adventurous often combine cheeses, such as: sharp white cheddar, gouda, brie, swiss, provolone or dairy free. Slices of crisp apple, pear, portobello mushroom, avocado, tomato or grilled onions will satisfy veggie lovers while slow roasted beef, brisket, pulled pork or bacon work for the meat lovers in every home. From rye to crunchy sourdough, multigrain to gluten free, the choice of bread adds yet more flavor goodness. Seriously, what’s not to like?
Of course, what you serve it with is also important. Grilled cheese served with tomato soup or a hot chocolate is always a delight. If you suffer from acid irritation, try using 1 or 2 caplets of PRELIEF® to reduce the acid levels.
Here are some of our favorite grilled cheese combinations:
- brie, havarti, sliced apples, fig jam on a multigrain bread. Try dusting with a little parmesan before grilling.
- havarti, sharp cheddar, applewood smoked bacon on sliced sourdough (Boudin Bakery)
- sharp white cheddar, provolone, American cheese on multigrain
- American cheese & pepperoni on white bread
- smoked brisket, white cheddar, pickles on sourdough
- portobello mushroom, tomato, avocado, Monterey Jack on Ezekiel bread
- turkey, bacon, tomato, provolone on sourdough
- whipped ricotta cheese, honey, raspberries on cinnamon bread