What is it about coffee that so many people love? Is it the quick burst of energy? That feeling of comfort when you’re holding a warm cup?? A laser focus at work?? For the 30 million people who drink at least one cup a day(1), coffee is an essential and treasured part of their daily lives until the day that it causes stomach, gut or bladder distress.
The villain in this story isn’t the caffeine but the natural acids found in that favorite cup of brew. Like the finest wines, coffee also has very diverse flavor profiles based upon the origin of the beans and how they are roasted. Coffee expert Kenneth Davids says that acid adds a “sweetly tart spark” to a cup of coffee that many people enjoy. But for the acid sensitive consumer, finding a lower acid variety is a must.
Dark roasting, as opposed to medium roasting, will force more acids out of the bean. Some companies use a proprietary, very slow roasting method while others first steam coffee beans to reduce their waxy outer layer.
If you haven’t tried a cold-brew coffee, you’re in for a treat. It’s easy to make at home and extracts less acid from the coffee than hot-water brewing methods yet still provide a lush and rich flavor profile. Many national coffee chains now offer cold brew options.
There’s another easy way to reduce acid in coffee! Two caplets of Prelief® will reduce up to 95% of the acid in a 6oz cup of coffee! Prelief minimizes discomfort caused by acid foods. In addition, each Prelief® caplet deliver about 6.4% of your calcium RDI.
Coffee lovers rejoice! There is a way to enjoy coffee again!
- Buy naturally low acid beans
- Use a darker roast, the darker the better!
- Use a cold brewing method
- Use Prelief
- Davids K. Low Acid Coffees. Coffee Review January 29, 2012 –http://www.coffeereview.com/low-acid-coffees-2/
- Acid Reduction Chart. https://prelief.com/faq/
- Top 30 Coffee’s of 2016 – http://www.coffeereview.com/15056-2/
- Coffee Health Benefits – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/coffee-health-benefits_n_4102133.html
- National Coffee Trends Revealed – https://zagat.googleblog.com/2015/02/national-coffee-trends-revealed.html
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.